This is not meant to be an exhaustive guide but rather a quick cliff notes version of how you would start to meditate. Look, there is no perfect way.
Be as you are, do your best and don’t be hard on yourself. Without further ado:
1. Create a time and a space: choose a time each day that you can practice your meditation. Ideally this is a quiet space so you are distraction free
2. Set your timer, starting with as little as 2-3 minutes and over time you can work up to 10 minutes and longer
3. Find a comfortable sitting position. Sitting cross legged on a zafu or meditation cushion promotes the right posture for your spine. You can also use a chair or the ground
4. Take some deep breaths. Close your eyes and take 3-4 deep breaths, focusing on where the breath feels the most deep. After 3-4 deep breaths, let your breath return to normal
5. Focus on your breath. Focus on each breath, noticing where it goes in and out. As thoughts come into your mind, gently let them go and return your focus to your breath
6. Be kind to yourself. If you are having a difficult time focusing on your breath, do not be hard on yourself- it’s perfectly normal. Just let the thoughts go, and return your focus back to your breath. Be kind and accepting of your thoughts, but let them go
7. Slowly come out of it when your timer goes off. Take your time in opening your eyes and when you’re ready, open them! Acknowledge what you’ve accomplished and be thankful to yourself for making this time, you deserve it.